How to turn off headlights when parked? This seems a daunting task to many drivers, as some people don’t know how to locate this flashing light.
No need to panic, as our post will help you out of this nightmare thanks to the useful tips below.
Besides auto headlights, I also present details on the deactivation process of other lights, such as daytime running illuminators. Stay tuned!
What Is The Car Headlight?
An automobile headlight, or headlamp, is one of the exterior lights responsible for illuminating the road ahead and protecting drivers’ safety.
Its performance has steadily improved over the automotive development.
In different countries, there is a divergence in the headlight’s use. This disparity is spurred by a set of different rules throughout the world in terms of traffic participation.
Yet, the headlight’s importance is still irrefutable.
According to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, nearly half of the fatalities’ total occurs in the dark, while the figure for daytime is only 25%.
The reason is that it is functional at detecting obstacles on the road, such as rocks or potholes, while naked eyes can’t do that.
So its installation is compulsory on some vehicles except for cars. And it can be powered by a generator or a battery.
How To Turn Off Headlights When Parked?
To switch off a car headlight, you first need to park your vehicle safely, find the headlight lever and its control button, and switch it to the “Off” position until you notice a click.
- Step 1: Stop your automobile in a safe area whose surface should not be too rough.
- Step 2: Pinpoint the position of a headlight lever. If you are unclear about its position, head towards your car’s steering wheel and look at its left side.
- Step 3: You will see a knob on the left’s outer side, which shows two symbols displaying “Off” and “Auto.” Many old cars don’t have the “Auto” button but “On” instead.
- Step 4: Toggle the knob down to the “Off” position. You are successful when hearing a clicking sound.
- Step 5: You probably deactivate all the lights on an instrument dash, so ensure that you check the dashboard dial before getting out of your car.
How To Turn Off Headlights At Drive-in?
Some people want to head towards the drive-in movie, but you should always check whether your headlamps are deactivated before reaching this destination.
Otherwise, it could turn into a real annoyance, especially to other audiences.
So how to do that? Here are straightforward guidelines to help you accomplish this task in a proper way.
- Step 1: Pull up your car to the roadside. It is recommended to find a well-lit place to park your vehicle.
- Step 2: You must locate the headlight switch promptly. It is usually on the dashboard, near other controls, like turning signals or high beams.
- Step 3: When you have already found it, flip it to an “Off” switch. If you hear a clicking sound, congratulations since you have nailed it.
Don’t forget to turn the light back on when you no longer use the drive-in for the sake of your safety. You can also keep the radio on at drive-in if you like.
How To Turn Off Automatic Headlights At Night?
As mentioned earlier, a headlight in modern cars follows an automatic design, which means it will illuminate when the surroundings get dark and vice versa.
However, this feature could cause much confusion to many first-time drivers, as they can mistake it for their light’s improper working.
To solve this worry, below is a comprehensive guide for you to consider.
- Step 1: Find a parking place to stop your automobile safely. Don’t forget to apply the brake unless you want it to slide away.
- Step 2: Seek out the switch responsible for controlling the automatic feature. Search for the panel, and you can determine its position next to the headlight switch.
- Step 3: These two switches are not separate in numerous models, so you should look at the manufacturer’s manual beforehand.
- Step 4: Toggle it to the “Off.” Good luck!
How To Turn Off The Headlight While A Car Is Running?
With the development of technology, lots of brands equip their cars with state-of-the-art devices, all for drivers’ convenience.
One of them is automatic activation of the daytime lights and headlights.
They are always running not only in the dark but also whenever the vehicle is on. Hence, drivers’ vision is better, leading to a lower chance of accidents.
But many complain about this function due to fuel overconsumption.
How to switch them off? Simple steps are waiting for you as follows.
- Step 1: Stop your car by applying the emergency brake. You will see the parking brake light coming on in this case, but you can reset it later.
- Step 2: Find a lever located near the headlight knob.
- Step 3: Go to the infotainment system on your vehicle. Then, hit the “Menu” button. A list will appear on the screen, and you need to scroll down.
- Step 4: Hit the “Auto Headlights” -> “Headlights Off.” It is advisable to consult the manufacturer’s specifications for further info.
How To Turn Off Daytime Running Lights?
This section will introduce five methods of switching the daytime running light off.
Method 1: Turn DRL “Off” Setting
If your car comes with a DRL “Off” setting, you only need to toggle the light control knob down and wait for the clicking sound.
Twisting the knob helps cut the power delivered to the fuse, which takes charge of running the DRL lights.
Method 2: Remove The Daytime Or DRL Fuse
Many people widely use this technique, as it is not very complicated. You first press the e-brake as a way of telling your powertrain control module that your car doesn’t need to run anymore.
Then, look for the fuse box, usually positioned underneath the hood or on the dash along the driver’s side.
Find a box labeled” Daytime” or “DRL.” If you cannot find it, check the vehicle manual thoroughly.
Pull out and place it in a safe spot. Keep an eye on other functioning electricals, such as the headlight or radio bulb, to see whether they are connected to the DRL fuse.
Method 3: Cut The Current Supply To DRLs
You must locate the negative wire or the ground, which all connect to the daytime running light. Use a specialized tool, like mechanical scissors, to cut them off.
However, the cut should be minor enough for you to reconnect next time. If unable to reach the wire, you should take the headlight assembly out.
Remember to check other electricals to ensure they are not affected.
Method 4: Use The “Dome Override” Button
The “Dome Override” button is added to some vehicle models like General Motors. Just press it repeatedly, about three to four times so that the daytime running bulbs will switch off.
Method 5: Take Your Car To A Local Dealership
If you cannot deactivate your automobile’s DRL light, it is advisable to reach the local dealership store, and professional mechanics will help you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Are The Lights In My Car Staying On?
If your car’s lights are not disengaged, even after you have shut all the engines down, they are probably still in the “On” state.
Or else, the knob is switched to the auto mode, and your surroundings are in the dark, so the lights are automatically turned on.
As regards the interior light, it stays on because the vehicle’s doors are still open. Check all the doors to see whether they are closed or not.
If not, this bulb may be out of order and need replacing.
How To Turn On High Beams?
- Step 1: Pinpoint the lever’s position.
- Step 2: Search for a knob located right on the lever, and quickly look at the headlight symbol.
- Step 3: Toggle the knob to an “On” switch.
- Step 4: Press the lever pointing to the vehicle’s dash. The beam headlight has already turned on if you undertake the proper steps. Hope you will nail it!
How To Turn Off Headlights In Chrysler Pacifica?
- Step 1: Park your car.
- Step 2: Go down to the light control, and you will see three light buttons: “On,” “Off,” and “Auto.”
- Step 3: Turn the knob to the right until the arrow symbol directs to the “Off” position. Good luck!
Will Dashboard Lights Drain The Battery?
No. The dashboard light is designed to consume little power, so it is very energy efficient. Yet, if you leave it on for a long time, it will drain the battery.
Suppose you turn the dashboard light on in some old cars and forget to disengage it overnight; your battery will be immediately drained the next day.
So be careful if you don’t want to waste money on the battery’s replacement.
The Bottom Line
This article has thoroughly elaborated on the procedure of how to turn off headlights when parked. This task is no longer a nightmare after you contemplate our post.
Besides, you also reap more helpful information about disengaging other bulbs, like automatic headlamps and DRL lights. These sources of knowledge will come in handy some days.
Thank you for your genuine support, and have a nice day!