“Subaru leather seat repair method” can probably be one of the most frequently searched keywords.
This is a common problem that many people face, not only for vehicles from this brand but also for many other models.
Leather material has a very high aesthetic value but is not easy to maintain.
Not everyone knows how to take care of and preserve its best quality, so don’t skip this article. Moreover, useful tips will be revealed now!
Common Issues With Car Leather Seat
For Subaru leather interior, you will face some of the following common problems:
The Strong Smell
Today, these chairs are mostly made from treated industrial material and have a characteristic pungent smell. As for real leather, their smell is even worse.
Vehicle’s front and back seats will mostly develop odors from our sweat, mold, and mildew due to it being damp, wet, or exposed to humidity and heat.
Some useful methods to reduce this smell:
- Use vinegar
- Utilize baking soda
- Apply air freshener
- Use Silica gel
- Apply a car odor eliminator or AC system cleaner
It’s Easy Affected By The Weather
The weather negatively affects Subaru interior colors, especially heat and sunlight.
Fading is one of the most typical ways that leather upholstery exhibits degradation.
It can look dry and dull due to fading, which can happen when exposed to heat sources like the sun.
The interior left in direct sunlight can quickly reach 70°C (or 160°F), yet leather, especially black one, is far better at absorbing heat than cloth seats.
It also requires the car AC to work harder to reduce the temperature inside.
In addition, it contracts unevenly in the cold due to the harsh temperatures. Its outside ripples and pulls against itself as it contracts.
After it is subjected to freezing temperatures, the outer layer of the coating takes months to heal and bounce back to its original size.
It Requires High Maintenance
Although this material may be superior at resisting stains, you’ll have to clean and care for it with specialized solutions like Magic Eraser to keep it looking fantastic.
The dust, sweat, and grime that permeate into this material will cause it to eventually exhibit signs of seat wear and tear if you don’t regularly clean and treat it.
This material might start to stiffen and fracture after prolonged lengths of time. As a result, you may need to spend more time and money to repair car seat leather.
Easy To Be Scratched
Drivers usually search Subaru seat repair methods for scratches. There are many reasons why scratches appear.
It could be negligence when you scratched your nails on the chair or your keys accidentally touched it.
It could be a cat nail, a scratch from the tip of a ballpoint pen, or any other sharp object. For a variety of reasons, they also easily appear on the chair.
People often use a Subaru leather repair kit to fix them in mild cases.
Cracking And Staining
Cracking is another way that automobile seats display damage.
Age, normal wear and tear, friction from auto parts or people rubbing against them, or exposure to extremely high or low temperatures can all produce cracks.
Repairs can also cover stains on automobiles. They can be difficult to remove, caused by food, spills, items falling from pockets, or sweat.
Subaru Leather Seat Repair: How To Do It?
How to fix a rip in leather seats? Three most common ways that are easy to process at home include using a repair kit, applying a new patch, or utilizing liquid leather.
They’re extremely helpful if you are looking for a remedy for problems in:
- 2010 Subaru outback seat covers
- 2012 Subaru outback seat covers
- 2013 Subaru outback seat covers
- 2016 Subaru outback seat covers
- 2017 Subaru outback seat covers
- 2018 Subaru outback seat covers
Using A Repair Kit
A quality Subaru leather seat repair kit is really worth the investment. It comes with all the necessary tools and materials and is handy to carry in your car and use anytime.
Once you own it, apply this Subaru outback leather seat repair guideline:
- Clean the surface with a damp soft cloth and a dedicated cleaner (soap, liquid, etc.).
- Remove any rough edges near the rip.
- Insert a piece of backing cloth into the tear, then tuck it under it. To make the edges of the tear adhere to the material, apply a small amount of the provided glue to those areas.
- Use a palette knife to apply leather filler to the backing cloth between the tear’s edges. Let the previous one dry, and add filler until it evens out with the seat.
- Sand down to the top layer and wipe the surface with a damp cloth.
- Apply the colorant and cover the surface with leather sealant to finish.
Apply A New Patch
The next Subaru upholstery repair tip is applying a new patch:
- Select the new patch that matches your surface.
- You can trim it to fit the tear; don’t leave too much excess to save time in the next steps.
- Insert wax paper under the damaged area.
- Use the adhesive to attach the new patch.
- Wait until it dries completely.
Utilize Liquid Leather
We also can repair car leather seats with liquid leather. Choosing a proper product to match your seat’s materials and colors is essential.
- Clean the seat, especially the damaged surfaces, to remove dust and all stains.
- Use a sponge to apply diluted liquid leather (30%) to your chair.
- Wait until the area dries, and apply a layer to the entire seat.
- Finish this with a layer of leather conditioners.
How To Make My Leather Seat Last Longer?
To maintain their best quality and reduce Subaru outback leather seat replacement times, you can pay more attention during use and maintenance. The following tips will be really helpful:
- Parking in the shade is preferable. At the very least, ensure your vehicle isn’t parked in direct sunlight if you cannot do so.
- On warm days, open a window. Open a window when it’s hot outside to let some air in and keep your seats cool.
- Install a sunshade on your car. Choose one that fits comfortably to prevent it from flapping in the wind.
- The chairs should be frequently cleaned. As was already said, it requires routine cleaning and conditioning to maintain its best appearance.
- Installing seat covers will shield your seats from dirt, spills, UV rays, and other irritants.
Can I Keep The Subaru Leather Seat From Cracking?
2016 Subaru outback driver seat replacement should be processed when your chairs have serious cracking, scratching, or other damage. However, you can learn how to keep it from this situation.
Apart from all the tips above, using a cover is highly recommended. With leather coverings, your car’s chair can be shielded from fading and cracking.
Also, they are a fantastic method to keep your seats free of dirt, dust, and other grit.
Leather chair covers are often easy to install and can be removed quickly for cleaning. Be sure the products you choose is constructed of high-quality fabrics and snugly fits your automobile’s seats.
What Should I Use To Clean The Leather Interior In My Car?
Some substances and products that you can use to clean the leather car seats:
- Alcohol, which also works for leather-like material like Softex seats on Toyota cars.
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice and Tartar cream
- Dedicated cleaning products
It’s easy to apply the above Subaru leather seat repair methods. You can choose the most suitable and available tools at home for your condition.
One thing to keep in mind is to use and maintain it properly. This will obviously save you time and money to repair when there is major damage.